If you are looking for the best dog food for Yorkies, you’re in the right place. Dog owners who love their dog and treat him like one of your family and want the best for him especially when it comes to food he eats will do prior dog food research before making a purchase.
The fact that dog food is made for different types of dog sizes in different life development stages, picking for example best food for Yorkie puppy cannot be a walk in the park. In this article, we have analyzed the best food for Yorkies.
Table of the best dog food for Yorkies.
- 1 What to consider when buying Yorkie dog food
- 2 Top 6 rated the best food for Yorkies
- 3 Yorkie foods to avoid
- 4 What kind of dog food do Yorkies eat
- 5 How much should a Yorkie eat daily
- 6 Conclusion
What to consider when buying Yorkie dog food
Yorkies are dogs characterized by a lot of hair in their coat and they are small. Their nutrition has to be carefully picked so that their body can manage to repel diseases and allergies that come their way.
A quick search online of Yorkies food, you will realize there is a variety of brands available in the market that you can choose but not all foods that can be trusted. The following are features that should help you determine dog food for Yorkies.
- Yorkie Age-At different stages of Yorkie life, they will require different energy levels. If you own adult Yorkie, go for foods that have fewer calories and less protein because they are less activate and do not need to gain more weight. However, for puppy Yorkies, their food should have high proteins and should have high calories.
- Health status of Yorkie-Some Yorkies is allergic to certain foods. Other are overweight and require food with less protein. Senior Yorkies with the bone problem need food that has high calcium.
- Kibble size-Yorkies are small dogs with a small mouth, which cannot grind food with hard large kibbles. Therefore, avoid all dog food that has large kibbles.
- Glycemic index level-Food that contain a high level of glycemic lead to accumulation of sugar in the Yorkie body.
Top 6 rated the best food for Yorkies
Here is our pick for the best Yorkies food. Our analysis is unbiased and we have categorized the foods according to Yorkie age, health status, and kibbles type
Merrick Wet Dog Food
If you are looking for best-wet food for Yorkies, Merrick wet food is the way to go. This food is formulated to meet the needs of small breeds like Yorkies.
The recipe of Merrick wet dog food has real meat, fish, and poultry, which have more protein that is required by small dogs. Other ingredients are fruits and vegetables like apples, peas, and blueberries.
Reasons why Merrick wet dog food is best for Yorkies
- Contains deboned beef, which is the main ingredient.
- Cooked in the USA.
- Grain free wet food with no gluten therefore easy to digest food.
- Small kibbles for small breed dogs like Yorkies and pugs
Blue Buffalo Basics Adult Dry Dog Food
If you own an adult or senior dog, Blue Buffalo adult dog food among the top rated dog foods. It is also the best dog food for Yorkies with allergies. Below are the reasons why we choose Blue Buffalo dog food.
- Contains no artificial flavors or preservatives.
- It has no wheat, corn or chicken.
- Grain-free natural adult dry food.
- Main ingredients are food, turkey and potato.
- Has digestible carbohydrate sources.
- Pumpkin ease the dog digestion.
- Omega 3 and 6 combined with fatty acids promotes Yorkies shiny coat.
- As real deboned turkey.
Wellness CORE Grain Free Pure
Looking for best dog food for Yorkies with a sensitive stomach, Wellness core grain free pure dog food can serve the purpose.
Here are key features
- Grain free.
- Contains 6 calories for every treat.
- Cooked in the USA.
- Good for training dog.
- Contains no wheat, corn or soy.
- Has zero preservatives or artificial flavors.
Crave Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food
All dog breeds thrive well on foods that are rich in protein because they get enough energy that is needed for hunting. Foods made by Crave Pet food have high-quality protein. It is because of that reason why we chose Crave grain dry food as the best dry dog food for Yorkies.
Reasons why we love Crave grain dry dog food
- Contains high protein nutrient for pets giving them the energy to hunt and play.
- No grains or soy i.e. high-quality Yorkie protein.
- Dog food formula packed with nutrients for small dog breeds.
- Contain Animal and plant protein to balance amino acids levels in the Yorkie body.
- Crave grain food helps Yorkies to maintain lean bodies.
Nutro Wholesome Dog Food
Nutro dog food has a wide range of recipes that are made for all dog in different development stages and breeds. If your Yorkie is still young and growing, Nutro is the best puppy food for Yorkies.
Reasons why Nutro Wholesome is top rated puppy food for Yorkies
- Cooked with calcium for building stronger puppy bones.
- Contains non-Gmo ingredients.
- Dog food for puppies formulated with Omega 3 and fatty acids.
- The food contains DHA, which promotes growth and development.
- Contains unique blend of grains and fruits.
- Helps to promote healthy skin.
- Perfect dog food for small dog breeds.
Diamond Natural dry food for adult
Looking for the best dog food for senior Yorkies, buy Diamond Natural dry food because the food provides complete and holistic nutrition that is needed by a senior dog. It is made using real beef, which is tailored for senior dogs.
Reasons why we picked Diamond Natural dry food for senior dogs
- Contains optimal amino acids for lean and strong muscles.
- Fatty acid blend for great skin and coat.
- Has zero corn, wheat or flavors.
- Cooked in the USA.
- Main ingredients are vitamins, fruits and vegetables.
- Soluble and insoluble fibers help to support a healthy digestive system.
- Fruits like oranges, spinach, etc. are important in supporting immune Yorkie system and a healthy lifestyle.
Yorkie foods to avoid
If you want the best for your Yorkie, you will do the research on the food he/she should eat and not eat. Some foods can make the dog have stomach distress that can escalate to seeking vet services. In addition, some Yorkies can be allergic to some foods; therefore, you should avoid such foods when making a purchase for foods for allergic dogs. Not in the list below is cantaloupe, find out if yorkies can eat cantaloupe .
- Foods with zero sugar-Foods, which have no sugar, can contain xylitol, which can cause liver failure especially in small dogs like Yorkies.
- Mushrooms-If you love mushrooms, never feed them to your dog because they contain toxins that affect liver and kidney.These problems can lead to death.
- Small bones-Chicken, fish, etc. small bones can choke small dogs and can cause stomach lacerations.
- Broccoli-If you have to feed your Yorkie broccoli, do it in small quantities because large quantities will be toxic.
- Persimmons always result in intestine blockage.
- Grapes-If you feed Yorkies with grapes, their kidneys will get affected with a substance contained in these fruits.
- Macadamia nuts-These nuts also have a substance that is not good for the dog.
- Avocados-These fruits not only choke your dog, but they contain Persian, which cause stomach upset.
- Nutmeg-they cause tremors and seizure, which can lead to a breakdown of the central nervous system.
What kind of dog food do Yorkies eat
Wondering what, do Yorkies like to eat? You can either go for manufactured or homemade dog food. In case you go for homemade food, make sure you have enough protein, carbohydrates, fruits, and fats.
The protein should be more than ¼ or ½ of the food. Below are some of the acceptable foods that Yorkies like to eat.
- Boiled chicken.
- Lean hamburger
- Brown and white rice.
Fruits and vegetables
- Green beans.
- Sweet peas.
How much should a Yorkie eat daily
The amount of food and frequency you should give Yorkie food depends on age. For puppy Yorkies, they should take ¼ to a ½ cup of dry food, three to four times a day. They should have food available to them all times until they are the age of 4 months, that when you can start scheduling.
Young adults i.e. Yorkies aged between 9-12 months their food can be switched to adults. Adult’s Yorkies needs 150 calories while seniors need 120 calories per day.
For adult Yorkies, feed them twice a day, it is recommended to feed him with ½ to ¾ cups of food per day.These meals should be split into 2 to 3 meals.
It is important to note that Yorkies have a small stomach and their meals should be divided throughout the day. It is much better if you switch from dry food to wet food for senior dogs with dental issues because some lose their teeth while chewing hard and big kibbles.
Picking the right Yorkie food is very important because the food determines the health of the dog. Yorkies will have special needs at different stages of their life. I hope this article helped you in picking what is right for your dog. Leave a comment by answering the below question.
What is the best dog food for Yorkies?
When am not writing, you can find me hunting with my retriever named Lupo in the uplands. Am also a Dropshipper and i have one store dealing with Pug merchandise. Enjoy reading my blog