Most people who buy Shih Tzu dogs usually get attracted by their long and unique hair that no other dog breed has. Apart from their long slick hair, these dogs are very playful and intelligent. The come third as the most sort pet dog breed after pugs and French bulldogs. They are hard to resist especially for someone who has never interacted with them.
However, their long hair is very costly to maintain because they require to be groomed on more often so that it does not tangle and form mats. Shih Tzu just like human beings they have a coat that has hair instead of fur like other dogs. Many dog owners consider them non-shedding but that not true. They normally shed but the fact that they have a double coat, it’s hard to realize because the fallen hair gets trapped inside the coat. To avoid skin problems you have to buy Shih Tzu shampoo and conditioner that you can use for regular bathing.
In this article, we are going to review the best shampoo for Shih Tzu. We spent a lot of time doing research on this topic and we have come up with natural remedies for Shih Tzu losing fur. Apart from product review, we will detail tips on how to bathe, groom and take care of both adult and puppy Shih Tzu.
If you are in hurry below is a preview of our top 3 choices that we will review but before that let first understand what to look for in a good Shih Tzu grooming shampoo.
- 1 What to look for in Shih Tzu shampoo?
- 2 Top 6 best Shih Tzu grooming shampoos
- 3 Frequently asked questions
- 4 Conclusion
What to look for in Shih Tzu shampoo?
It is not only Shih Tzu but any dog requires a shampoo and conditioner with the following vital or important characteristics.
- Neutral pH level-Normally pH of dog skin is more neutral than that of a human being. The standard pH scale is between 0 and 14. The scale measures acidic or basic of a substance. Pure drinking water has a pH of 7.0. Anything that has a pH of less than 7 is considered to be acidic. Dogs’ skin has a pH value of 7.5 whereas human skin is 5.5. A good dog shampoo should have the right pH level. It is important to note that you cannot use human shampoo to bathe dogs.
- Easy to rinse out-Dog shampoo should be easy to wash out and no tiny particles should be left behind on the coat. Some shampoo when not rinsed out completely they can irritate the dog skin and sometimes even cause stomach upset when the pet licks their body.
- Natural ingredients and conditioners that are moisturizing-The only remedy for Shih Tzu dry skin is finding the right shampoo with natural moisturizing ingredients like Aloe Vera and oatmeal. The two ingredients help in stopping skin irritation, help in re-moisturizing dry and sensitive skin.
- Soap-free and hypo-allergenic-A shampoo with soap can cause dryness in dog skin because they normally remove skin oils leaving it dry. The best shampoo for a Shih Tzu should have cleansers like coconut that are hypoallergenic. They are capable of cleansing the dog skin without removing its natural oils.
Top 6 best Shih Tzu grooming shampoos
FURminator dog shampoo
FURminator the makers of deShedding tools are known for the best innovations in grooming, hair care, bathing, and other dog hygiene. Apart from brushing products, FURminator de-shedding shampoo for dogs gives both pets and owners confidence in-home grooming because of good results.
The main ingredients in this shampoo are Omega Fatty Acids, Vitamins and plant natural extracts. The plant extracts help in preventing shedding. It is non-irritating and does not cause dryness therefore; it is ideal Shampoo for Shih Tzu that can help in promoting a healthy dog coat and skin. Both professional pet groomers across the world recommend FURminator shampoo for dogs.
When bathing the dog avoid shampoo getting in contact with their eyes. If you want to have, good results make sure you use a FURminator deShedding conditioner. The conditioner will help in releasing loose hair.
Veterinary formula dog shampoo
Treating dog skin infections is very costly. You will have to pay for consultation Vet Officer fee and go ahead paying for treatments. Instead of spending a lot of money on skin infection treatment, you can purchase Veterinary Formula clinical care shampoo. This shampoo has both Antiseborrheic and antiparasitic ingredients that make it a perfect treatment for dog skin that has been infected with mange, seborrhea, fungal, parasite, and bacterial infections.
If your Shih Tzu is infected with these kinds of infection, you can begin treatment by washing him using this shampoo at least 2-3 times a week. Once the skin improves, you can reduce to once a week.
Ingredients that Veterinary formula shampoo have to include the following:-
- Salicylic acid.
- Coal tar.
- Micronized sulfur.
- Colloidal oatmeal.
Salicylic acid, Coal tar, and Micronized sulfur are used in treating the following infections
The allantoin and oatmeal help in hydrating and healing dog skin.
Other key features
- Affordable and effective shampoo for controlling infections and relief for itchy dog skin. It gives both you and Shih Tzu humble time to focus on daily walks or training other than concentrating on itching and inflamed skin.
- Balanced pH level appropriate for every dog.
- The best shampoo for dogs with sensitive and allergic skin.
Colloidal Oatmeal Shampoo
Honeydew is the company behind colloidal oatmeal dog shampoo. They are dedicated in providing you with personal care products for the whole family including pets. Honeydew Pet shampoo helps in soothing and nourishing skin and fur.
Using different types of shampoos on the dog can have adverse effects on sensitive skin. This shampoo is gentle and mild. It will always leave your pet clean and smelling good. Below are some of the important ingredients contained in this shampoo.
- Colloidal Oatmeal-This is gentle and soothing oats that help in moisturizing and soothing irritated dog skin.
- Lavender oil-Help in soothing Shih Tzu and other dogs dry, itching and irritating skin.
- Jojoba oil-A dog skin should not only be clean but it has to look shiny and soft and that the reason why this shampoo has jojoba oil. This oil helps in hydrating in order to make your dog skin look healthy and silky.
The shampoo is naturally hypoallergenic made in the USA. Satisfaction is guaranteed or 100% money-back.
Rocco and Roxie shampoo
Rocco and Roxie company main aim or mission is to make the bathing time easy and fun. After a whole day of swimming and playing in the mud, your dog should have a bathe. You can make dog bathe time to be a spa if you purchase Rocco & Roxie shampoo.
This shampoo will make your dog skin to shine because it is made using quality ingredients included below:-
- Argan oil– This is oil extracted from wild nuts that grow naturally in Morocco. Help in nourishing and conditioning dog skin.
- Vitamin A-Has antioxidants that help in moisturizing the skin.
- Geranium Extract–helps in strengthening hair follicles and restoring skin cells.
- Peppermint oil-Useful in balancing hair and skin oils.
Nootie Dog shampoo
If you are tired of shampoos that leave your dog skin dry, flaky and smelling bad, you need to try Nootie pet Shampoo. This shampoo offers numerous benefits to the dog coat and skin.
The main ingredients in Nootie pet shampoo are cucumber, melon, aloe Vera and oatmeal. All these ingredients help in relieving dog itching and dry skin. After bathe, cucumber melon leaves the pet smelling fresh.
Another factor we love about Nootie cucumber pet shampoo is soap and paraben-free. To ensure you have a gentle cleansing this shampoo does not have sulfates or any other chemicals. You can use this shampoo along with tick and flea products like Seresto.
Arnica & neem shampoo for dogs
Equiderma understands that your dog deserves to have a healthy coat. They strive to offer good dog grooming products that leave his coat shiny and sleek looking. The first time you try using neem shampoo for dogs, you will notice the difference in the coat and skin.
After a whole day of rolling in the mud and getting dirty, the dogs need to take a bath in order to avoid skin problems. Using the right shampoo and conditioners made by Equiderma will leave your dog coat clean, smelling fresh and silky looking.
Other Key features
- Removes dog bad odor.
- Discourages ticks and fleas.
- Easy to rinse out.
- Made using natural and no-toxic ingredients.
- Useful in all pets i.e. dog, horses, cats, etc.
Frequently asked questions
Do dogs need conditioner?
When shampoos are used to bathe dogs, they normally remove all the unwanted dirt from the skin and coat. During the bathing process, the hair shafts are left open meaning oils and residue materials can enter and that why you need to use conditioners.
Conditioners help in closing hair cuticles, restoring moisture and hydration on the dog skin. Main ingredients in dog shampoo include the following:-
- Aloe Vera.
- Shea butter is organic.
Other benefits of dog conditioners
Apart from feeding on a good diet and getting enough exercise, for a dog to have a healthy skin and coat, they require the right shampoo and conditioner. Below are the benefits of dog conditioners.
- It helps to moisten and smoothen dry skin. Shampoos will remove the dirt including the natural oils on the dog skin and coat. These natural oils keep the skin moisturized therefore once they are removed the dog can experience skin conditions. Using the right conditioner can deliver moisture on the dog’s skin.
- It can help to reduce dog shedding and de-tangle long coats-It is normal for a dog to shed off their hair. Right conditioners can reduce the amount of loose hair from falling to the ground or shedding. Conditioners are also very important especially for dogs that have long coats like Maltese, Shih Tzu or Afghan Hounds. These coats tangle easily to form mats are painful when brushing however when using conditioners it is easy and less painful to the dog.
- Repairs and nourishes dog skin and coat-During bathe time, shampoo removes all the oils on the dog skin leaving it dry. After a bathe, conditioning the dog skin or coat helps in reducing hair fall or shedding. Conditioner also adds moisture on the coat making it soft and smooth.
- Makes dog coat shiny -To have a dog coat look glossy and shiny you have to use conditioners. Ingredients in conditioners include Vitamin E and oatmeal, which are important in soothing and making dog skin to shine.
- Results in fuller dog coats-Conditioners contain proteins and amino acids that are essential in growing a fuller dog coat. These proteins settle on the hair shaft hence making hair grow even if it is scanty.
Are Shih Tzu hypoallergenic?
Everyone who is allergic to dog dander and fur would love to know Are Shih Tzu hypoallergenic before buying a puppy. It is however very untrue to claim any dog is hypoallergenic because they all have dander. Dander refers to the loose hair and dead skin on the dog coat.
Comparing Shih Tzu with other dogs, they have the least amount of allergies. The reason is that unlike other dogs that have fur, Shih Tzu has a hair-like coat and that why when you ask many people if Shih Tzu is hypoallergenic they will answer you YES. Brushing and bathing your Shih Tzu coat on a regular basis can help in reducing the amount of dander they produce.
How often to bathe Shih Tzu
Under normal conditions and when Shih Tzu skin is in good condition, it is recommended to bathe them at least once in after three weeks. If they are left for long without bathe, their body oils will accumulate on the coat leading to bad smell and other skin infections.
Also frequently bathing Shih Tzu strips them of their body oil leaving their skin dry. Dry skin can be itchy making the dog uncomfortable.
It is important to note the frequency of bathing your Shih Tzu greatly depends on its lifestyle. If the Shih Tzu enjoys outdoor activities like rolling in the mud and soiling on its bottom it means you will have to bathe them frequently. Bathing them with the right shampoo and conditioners helps to keep their skin healthy.
Purchasing the best shampoo for Shih Tzu means that your dog will enjoy the bathing time. Using the right shampoo and conditioner ensures your Shih Tzu maintains a glossy and shiny adorable coat. It is our hope that this article has given you two or three hints on taking care of a Shih Tzu. It is quite clear that taking care of a Shih Tzu dog involves more than giving him the right diet but also perfect grooming.
Other related reviews
When am not writing, you can find me hunting with my retriever named Lupo in the uplands. Am also a Dropshipper and i have one store dealing with Pug merchandise. Enjoy reading my blog