French Bulldogs also known as Frenchies are very playful animals. They will go out and roll themselves in the mud and return home looking dusty and dirty.
Even though you cannot bathe your French or English bulldog on a daily basis, you have to do it depending on the bulldog lifestyle. To achieve the optimal results you need to use the bulldog shampoo and that why we have compiled and written a review of some of the shampoos that are suitable for bulldogs.
If you are in a hurry below is a table of 10 best dog shampoo
- 1 What to look for when buying Dog shampoo
- 2 Best french shampoo detailed Review
- 2.1 Vet’s Best Hypo-Allergenic Dog shampoo
- 2.2 Moosh Natural Dog Shampoo
- 2.3 Earthbath Natural Pet Shampoo
- 2.4 Healthy Breeds Bright Whitening Dog Shampoo
- 2.5 Lillian Ruff Dog Shampoo
- 2.6 Sofee & Co. New Natural Dog Shampoo
- 2.7 Alpha Dog Series White Shampoo
- 2.8 Doggie Dailies Shampoo for Dogs
- 2.9 Wahl Dog/Puppy Shampoo
- 2.10 Natural Oatmeal Dog-Shampoo and Conditioner
- 3 Bulldog grooming tips and Faq
- 4 Conclusion
What to look for when buying Dog shampoo
Recently, a friend of mine contacted me asking me which shampoo is suitable for removing dandruff in dog skin.
I had no answer to give him but promised to get back to him later once i have the tips. I did online research and i realized one does not just walk in a pet store and asks for hypo-allergic shampoo. First, you should ask yourself are bulldogs hypoallergenic? Then find out what your bulldog requires.
Below are some of the factors to consider when buying shampoo for bulldogs.
Shedding and dandruff control
French and English bulldogs both have very fine, short and smooth coats that they shed twice a year. Comparing bulldogs with pugs, their shedding is much less. The only and right way to control bulldog shedding is using grooming brushes that remove loose hair before it falls on your seats.
It is important to note that shedding of fur is a natural thing in bulldogs and the process should not be interfered with by using any anti-shed shampoos.
Shampoo can only help in reducing dandruff but the whole problem lies on your dog skin health. Once you bulldog is healthy; you will note the reduction in shedding and dandruff.
Some of the questions dog owners ask include-
Can i use human shampoo on my dog?
Can i use baby shampoo on my dog? Or
Can you use human conditioner on dogs?
The answer is a big NO and below is the reason:-
PH requirements for dog and human skin differ. This is the same reason why dogs need their own swimming pools.
All dog shampoos are made in a way they can help in soothing and nourishing pet skins without removing the important oils. Shampoos for dogs with pH level that is not balanced can have an effect on the dog skin by removing the protective oil layer.
All bulldogs have very sensitive skin and the fact that they have less fur, excessive scratching can lead to wounds development. It is very important to take the right measures to ensure your bulldog does not spend his time licking the itchy skin areas.
First, you need to understand what causes itchy skin. Some bulldogs can be allergic to certain foods or surroundings. The other cause is a bacterial infection. Buying pet shampoos with ingredients like Aloe Vera and vitamin E can help in reducing the itching effect.
Washing your bulldog on weekly basis trims him/her all the protective oil that is needed in the skin. Letting your dog stay for weeks without taking a bath can mean you will have to put with some bad odor in the house.
Using deodorizing shampoos can help you in removing the bad odor on the bulldog sensitive skin. The recommended deodorizers are the ones made using natural fragrances that are capable of maintaining the skin.
Some shampoos have an age limit. For example, you can find a bulldog puppy shampoo that is formulated to suit the needs of the growing puppy. This means the shampoo has different ingredients. For example, a senior dog shampoo can have more natural fragrances than a puppy shampoo.
Bulldog shampoos labeled hypoallergenic are the best. These types of shampoo normally contain fewer sulfates and reduced fragrances.
Most widely used ingredients in hypoallergenic dog shampoos include-
- Oatmeal-Helps in soothing skin that is itchy and dry. This ingredient restores skin moisture.
- Vitamins E-Providing a soothing effect on a furry dog skin.
- Aloe Vera-Soothes and promotes healthy skin especially for dogs with sensitive and itchy skin.
- Chamomile-Helps to clean moisturize and detangle puppy bulldog coat.
Therefore the best French shampoo should be hypoallergenic.
Best french shampoo detailed Review
Here is our detailed review of bulldog shampoo available in the market.
Vet’s Best Hypo-Allergenic Dog shampoo
If you are looking for the best french shampoo for dogs with itchy skin, this is the right one. It cleans and moisturizes the skin. Apart from that, it also helps to relieve skin itching and smoothens the dog’s coat.
Ingredients used to make the Vet’s Shampoo.
- Aloe Vera.
- Vitamin E.
Why I love Vest’s shampoo
- Vest Shampoo is gentle and soap-free. Perfect for relieving itching bulldog’s skin.
- It smoothens and dry Frenchie brittle coat.
- Made using natural ingredients like Aloe Vera and Vitamin E, which are better for comfort, and relieving your dog.
- This Shampoo when used often, it to removes allergens and does not dry the dog’s skin, therefore, this is the right shampoo for bulldogs with allergies.
- Cannot affect other treatments like a tick and topical flea control products.
- It is a complete treatment for the whole body i.e. ear relief.
Moosh Natural Dog Shampoo
Natural Dog Shampoo is a product of Fieldworks Supply Company, which believes you have to be the voice for your dog. You need to choose a bulldog shampoo that does not cause discomfort or strip protective acid mantle.
Moosh Natural dog shampoo is what your dog needs. It is made for precious and delicate dog’s skin because its PH is balanced.
- Neem oil. Best for itchy skin soothing and moisturizing. Keeps away all pests.
- Argon Oil. Keeps dog coat silky shine and healthy.
- Keeps fleas away.
- Antiseptic with a scent.
- Helps to soothe dog skin.
Reasons why i love Mosh Shampoo?
- Moosh shampoo is 100% organic and natural with 0% chemicals and preservatives.
- It is easy to rinse after bathing your Frenchie.
- Its only affordable shampoo on the market with Bentonite clay, which is perfect for removing fungus, bacteria and other toxins leaving a soothed and clean skin.
- Both Neem and Argan oil are Anti-septic. They have emollients, which moisturize and remove dandruff.
- Aloe Vera and Shea Butter help in soothing and moisturizing bulldog’s skin.
- It has essential oils that make your pooch smell good.
- The fact that dogs like licking themselves, Moosh shampoo is made using safe ingredients that cannot harm him.
Earthbath Natural Pet Shampoo
Earthbath Natural Pet Shampoo is gentle and tearless. It is the only dog shampoo whose PHP is balanced making it perfect bulldog puppy shampoo. This shampoo is luxurious and leaves your dog smelling and looking good.
More about Earthbath Natural Pet Shampoo
- Wild Cherry
- Earthbath is tearless.
- It’s PH Balanced.
- It has a small percentage of Allergic.
- Made using natural ingredients.
- This shampoo is biodegradable.
- It has no soap.
- Heavy scent leaves your dog smelling fresh.
- It is safe and effective.
Healthy Breeds Bright Whitening Dog Shampoo
Healthy Breeds Bright is a dog shampoo that is tearless and rich in protein. When used to bathe dogs it produces a white brilliant coat that is lustrous. This is the right oatmeal dog shampoo bulldogs.
- It has water and Ammonium.
More about Healthy Breeds Bright Whitening Dog Shampoo
- Oatmeal helps in soothing irritating dog skin leaving it smooth.
- This shampoo cleans without bleaching the dog’s coat.
- It also adds luster to the coat.
- Made in the US, therefore, a product you can trust.
Lillian Ruff Dog Shampoo
Lilian Ruff Oatmeal conditioner and shampoo are made to add shine and luster to your Frenchie coat. This shampoo helps with matting, flyaway hair and tangling. The shampoo contains Aloe Vera, which moisturizes and nourishes dog skin.
Why makes Lilian Ruff Dog Shampoo perfect for all dog breeds
- Lilian Ruff dog shampoo adds shine and luster and whitens the dog coat. Perfect shampoo or matting, flyaway hair and tangling.
- Natural oatmeal and Aloe Vera are best for bulldogs with itchy dry skin and allergies. They also moisturize dog sensitive skin. If you love your pooch, this is the best gift.
- Both shampoo and conditioner are PH balanced and leave your dog looking good and smelling fresh.
- Coconut oil helps to boost dog immune system and reduces dog inflammation.
- It’s a product made in the US using natural ingredients.
- 100% money-back –guarantee.
Sofee & Co. New Natural Dog Shampoo
More about Sofee Natural Dog Shampoo
- Soothes and moisturizes dog coat.
- Perfect for dry, itchy and allergic dog skin.
- It is non-toxic.
- Cruel free shampoo.
- Made in the USA, therefore, a product you can rely on.
Alpha Dog Series White Shampoo
Alpha Dog series shampoo is formulated in a way that makes it gentle and soothing. Its 100% percent, made using organic ingredients, therefore, it has bleaching or whitening effects.
Alpha dog shampoo is Ph. balanced and made using Aloe Vera. It cannot dry out puppy’s skin or coat. Natural extracts, oils, and plant extracts are best for sensitive skin, dandruff, hot spots, rashes, and itchy skin.
Alpha dog is deep cleansing and very gentle on the dog coat. If your dog has odors, this is perfect shampoo because it leaves your dog smelling fresh.
Doggie Dailies Shampoo for Dogs
Doggie Dailies Shampoo is two in one. It has a moisturizing conditioner and a deep cleanser. High-end dog groomers use best ingredients make this shampoo. Perfect for preventing skin dryness and relieving itching skin effect.
What can Doggie Dailies Shampoo do on your French bulldog?
- It removes dirt and eliminates stinky dog odors.
- Easier to use when bathing your Frenchie.
- Helps to relieve itchy and dry skin.
- It is rich in coconut oil, which is best for moisturizing dog skin.
- Easy to rinse.
- Ensures your dog smells fresh all day.
Why Doggie Dailies is best shampoo for bulldogs
- Skilled groomers make doggie Dailies shampoo, therefore, it is the best dog shampoo on the market.
- Made using natural ingredients, which are capable of removing dirt and odors.
- It is also soothing and moisturizes dry and itchy skin.
- Coconut scent leaves your dog smelling good for days.
Wahl Dog/Puppy Shampoo
- Wahl Dog shampoo is gentle on the skin.it leaves dog skin moisturized and clean.
- It is PH balanced.
- Coconut lime leaves your dog smelling fresh.
- It is easy to rinse. Therefore, it takes less time to bathe your Frenchie.
Natural Oatmeal Dog-Shampoo and Conditioner
It is both a Shampoo and conditioner. Veterinarian recommends it because it leaves dog coat detangled, deodorized and smelling fresh.
The main ingredient is oatmeal, which moisturizes and soothes skin, which is itchy. If your dog has allergies this is the perfect shampoo. The conditioner has shea butter, which is used to soften skin. This is the perfect bulldog beard shampoo because it turns bathing time to playtime.
Bulldog grooming tips and Faq
Grooming and Bathing
Apart from knowing dog shampoo for English bulldogs and other Frenchie grooming tools, there is a certain bathing procedure you should follow to get good results. Ensure you have everything you will require i.e. Lukewarm water, towel, facial cleanser, wipes, etc. so that it can take you less time.
In case your dog is not used to this routine procedure, put aside a reward for him after the process so that he can get used and love it.
- First before bathing your bulldog, use a dryer to go over the dog’s body to remove loose coat and dirt. In case you do not have a dryer, you can use a brush. Brushing the coat reduces the dog’s hair shedding because all the loose hair will be removed during this process.
- Using Luke warm water and shampoo, wash the whole dog body. Concentrate on the wrinkles in the bull’s face because they act as a damp for dirt and food, hence, infecting him with diseases.
It is important to use Luke warm water and not hot to avoid dryness. Do not use cold water because it can make your dog get a cough.
- Rinse the shampoo with a lot of Luke warm water because if left on the dog’s skin, it can make tangles.
- Wipe him using the towel and leave him for a few minutes in a warm area to dry.
- Apply petroleum jelly like Vaseline on the dog nose because it is prone to drying out.
- Check on his nails. They need to be trimmed at least once a month. You can use either guillotine or a scissor.
If your dog has thick nails, purchase guillotine dog nail clippers.
French bulldog grooming tools you should buy
One of the hardest thing for all French bulldog owners is finding the right products for grooming them. We would love to make your work easier by sampling the best products for french bulldogs grooming.
1.French bulldog Coat
Have you ever asked yourself why do french bulldogs need a coat? The reason is to keep them warm because they have little body fat therefore thin undercoat which cannot keep them warm. Apart from that French Bulldogs have short noses which makes them vulnerable to brachycephalic syndrome during winters. Brachycephalic syndrome causes respiratory problems which can be fat. To avoid that, Pick a Kuoser Cold weather Dog Jacket.
2.Best brush for french bulldog
French Bulldogs have loose skin which is covered by short and fine hair which make them have a smooth coat. During the shedding season, you will need a brush to remove excess hair in the bulldog undercoat. Our pick for French bulldog brush is Furminator brush
3.Best wipes for french bulldogs
Wipes are very important when it comes to cleaning bulldog faces and wrinkles. You don’t have to wash your frenchie with water when he is dirty, however, you can wipe him clean with and remove bacteria from wrinkles using Malacetic wipes. Wondering where to buy malacetic wipes?You can buy them from Amazon.
4.French bulldog ear cleaner
Cleaning bulldogs ears need an ear rinse. You don’t have to insert a cotton swab deep inside bulldog ear canal but you can squirt ear rinse like Zymox & Vetericyn deep in the ear canal and let your dog shake his head to remove dirt. Our preferred French bulldog ear cleaner is Zymox Ear Cleanser. It’s available in Amazon.
How often should you bathe a French bulldog
French bulldogs are shorthaired, therefore, recommended to bath them at least 2 to 5 times a year. The reason why you should not bathe them regularly is to avoid washing out their natural oil. However, depending on their lifestyle, you can wash Frenchie at least once a month.
Washing frequency can vary depending on the Frenchie activities and habit. If your Frenchie has a disgusting behavior of rolling himself or herself on the mud or any nasty dirty thing they find, you can wash him regularly to your cleanness standards though not recommended as stated earlier.
Frenchie bulldogs that spend most of the time indoors, they do not have to be washed regularly. You can use wet wipes that have no scent to wipe them clean instead of washing them using French bulldog shampoo.
Your French bulldog or English bulldog has to remain clean and smell good despite the lifestyle it leaves. It’s your responsibility to ensure he/she gets good dog beds, training collars, best french shampoo that is free of chemicals because they cannot speak for themselves. They need to be comfortable.
It’s my hope that this article will help you in buying the right pet shampoo.
When am not writing, you can find me hunting with my retriever named Lupo in the uplands. Am also a Dropshipper and i have one store dealing with Pug merchandise. Enjoy reading my blog