Many dog owners cannot keep in mind what fruits can dog eat and they find themselves feeding their canine friends foods like salami, which are bad for dogs. This article explores dog cantaloupe and answers the big question Can dogs eat cantaloupe?
According to Wikipedia, Cantaloupe is a name derived in the 18th century via French cantaloup from Italian Cantalupo. It was given the name after the fruit was introduced there from Armenia. There are of two types of cantaloupe:-
- European cantaloupe
- North American cantaloupe
Now back to our question
Is cantaloupe good for dogs
The answer is yes.
Just like watermelon, dogs can eat cantaloupe. However, they should consume it in small amounts especially if your dog is overweight which is a common problem among French bulldogs because they grow bigger and bigger every day.
Cantaloupe is a sweet fruit that is full of water. It is a perfect treat for your canine friend after training with shock collars or after taking a walk during summer. Even though dogs can have cantaloupe, it should not replace the daily dog food. It’s better when eaten like a snack, i.e. not on a daily basis.
Fruits are great sources of vitamins and mineral. One good thing about cantaloupe is that it contains 90% of water. Below is a breakdown of all nutrients found in cantaloupe and their health benefits:-
- Vitamin C– Fresh cantaloupe is a good source of Vitamin C in both dogs and human beings. It has also Ascorbic acid, which serves an important role in bone and joint development. If your dog has a joint problem and you have been forced to buy orthopedic dog beds, giving him cantaloupe can make him stronger.
- Vitamin A-100grams of cantaloupe contains 179micrograms of vitamin A, which is important in improving your dog’s eyesight. It also has Antioxidant, which combines with Vitamin c to boost your dog health and make it resistant to infections and inflammatory diseases.
- Potassium– This mineral is very important in the functioning of cellular and transmission of electric impulses that contract and relax dog muscles.
Can Dogs Eat Cantaloupe Rinds?
Dogs cannot eat cantaloupe rinds because they cause stomach upset. Just like watermelon rinds, cantaloupe rind is waxy tough and it is hard for a dog to chew.
Before you think of feeding your dog with rinds either watermelon or cantaloupe, remember that dog digestive system is not complex like that of humans beings, therefore, cantaloupe rind can choke the dog.
In case your dog eats cantaloupe rind when left alone, you should not panic but you should remain vigilant and watch how your dog behaves. You should contact a Vet if the dog starts to vomit, has stomach pain or any other gastrointestinal distress.
How often can dogs eat cantaloupe?
Cantaloupe for dogs: How to prepare and feed
To feed your dog with cantaloupe; you should just remove the rind and cut it into small pieces that can be swallowed easily and place them inside dog bowl.
What fruits can dogs eat
Most dog owners do not know what kind of fruits they can feed their dogs. Below is a full list of all types of fruits that dogs can eat:-
- Crain berries.
- Strawberries and watermelon.
Just like human beings, dogs also need to eat all kinds of fruit that have no advance health effects on them. You as the dog owner, it is your responsibility to find out fruits that can be eaten by the dog.
In case you don’t know if a certain fruit is safe or bad for a dog, make sure you do research. Do not forget to comment by answering my question below:-
What your dog’s favorite fruit?
When am not writing, you can find me hunting with my retriever named Lupo in the uplands. Am also a Dropshipper and i have one store dealing with Pug merchandise. Enjoy reading my blog