Are you wondering what the best food for pugs, both adult, and puppies? Several dog foods brands to choose from can make this very important task overwhelming and stressing. Without prior research and detailed guide, you can make a wrong choice for best dog food for any breed either huskies, French bulldogs etc.
Table of top 6 Best food for pugs.
- 1 What to look for in a pug dog food
- 2 5 Best dog food for pugs detailed review.
- 3 Related questions
- 4 Conclusion
What to look for in a pug dog food
Dogs are carnivores. Even though the dog drives most of the nutrients from meat, they also need grains, vegetables and fruits like watermelon or cantaloupe.
Non-meat foods are not only fillers but they are a source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Good dog food should contain a high-quality version of the following ingredients:-meat, fruits, vegetables, and grains.
Below is what you should look for in good dog food for pugs.
- Natural flavor.
- Made in the USA or Canada.
- Protein range between 30% and healthy fats between 15 and 20%.
- Should not contain controversial food additives.
- Protein should be from animals like chicken, turkey, fish, and lambs.
- Should have natural food preservatives like vitamins.
- For healthy skin, high immunity and increase disease resistance, the dog food should have antioxidants, probiotics, chondroitin, and glucosamine.
Avoid pugs foods with the following:-
- Generic meats.
- Corns like corn germ meal and corn bran.
- With artificial coloring and flavoring.
- Contain synthetic preservatives.
- Soy, which includes Soybeans and soy meal.
5 Best dog food for pugs detailed review.
Best dog food brand for pugs
Merrick Grain Dry Dog Food
Ever asked yourself who makes Merrick dog food or how good is Merrick dog food? Previously I have written a detailed comparison between Merrick vs Origen dog food , which is some of the top dog food brands.
Merrick company team belief that dogs need quality protein and fats that are healthy for them to thrive well therefore, Merrick puppy dry food is made to provide a balanced diet for dogs.
The ingredients used to make Merrick foods are sourced locally. They are natural and have no grains making them ideal for all dog breeds.
- Easy to digest dog food because of its grain free and has no gluten ingredients.
- Top ingredients are deboned chicken, turkey meal and brown rice.
- It has DHA, which is perfect for healthy brain development of the dog.
- Made for all dog sizes and breeds.
- Merrick pet food is cooked in the USA.
- Recent Merrick puppy food 35lb bag had large clumps of kibble that were a bit for the dog, I had to break them.
Royal Canin pug food
Pugs dogs are unique, delicate animals. They are prone to heart-related diseases, kidney failure, and other common dog diseases and not forgetting getting overweight. The coat is dense and folded therefore; they are capable of trapping moisture. They also have a muscular cobby body type.
You should be cautious when determining what can pugs eat. For example, feeding pugs with salami can bring advance health effects. Royal Canin pug food is specifically made for pugs.
Why you should buy Royal Canin pug food
- Old brand aged more than 10months.
- Perfect for maintaining muscle tone.
- It has small size kibbles that can be grasped and be chewed by dog easily
- Helps pugs to have a healthy coat and skin.
- Natural ingredients i.e. chicken meal, brown rice, oatmeal, and chicken fat.
Wellness Core Natural Food Small Breed
Dry dog foods are specifically for adult’s dogs and over 1-year old dogs that are not reproducing. Good dry food for pugs should have the following:-
- Vitamins, mineral salts and fatty acids.
- Fiber, prebiotics, and probiotics.
- Quality proteins and carbohydrates.
Dry pug food that has the above qualities is Wellness core dog food.
- It has 0% of grains.
- Perfect nutrition for small breeds.
- Rich in protein because it is made from Turkey and chicken meat.
- It has calories levels required by small breeds to produce high-energy needs.
- Has all natural ingredients with no corn, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Made only in the USA.
- Perfect for only small breed dogs.
Best wet dog food for pugs
Purina ALPO Chop House Wet Dog Food
- Different packs e.g. T-bone steak, Chicken flavor pack etc.
- Two recipes that are different but both tasty.
- High-quality ingredients, which include real meat.
- Has 23 vitamins and minerals, which are important for overall dog health.
- Tasty dog food that is delivers a balanced diet for adult dogs.
- Some customers who have reviewed this Purina ALPO wet dog food said that it made their dogs have diarrhea.
Best food for pug puppies
Nutro Wholesome Puppy Dry Dog Food
- Good source of high-quality protein.
- Natural ingredients i.e. chicken, lamb, and salmon.
- Non-GMO ingredients.
- Ingredients sourced from trusted US farmers.
- Has calcium for building strong bones and joints.
- Perfect nutrition for small dog breeds.
- Some customer feels it is a little expensive.
How much should a pug eat?
How much should a pug eat on a daily basis depends mainly on the pug weight and their activity level? For example, do you take your pug dog out for walks every day? If the answer is YES, it means they are burning many calories. Increasing their calorie intake will have no effects on their body.
However, if your pug has daily indoors routines like playing with toys, increasing their calories in their meals can lead to overweight and other health-related complications.
Generally, for pug puppies, they require 55 calories per pound of body weight whereas adult pugs need 41-45 calories. It is important first to check the packaging and read manufacture-feeding recommendations.
What foods can pugs not eat?
Canned or wet pugs foods have more calories than any other food. These foods can make your pug gain weight very fast. Therefore, you should avoid feeding your pug-canned foods. If your pug loves wet foods, make them treat foods. Give him the canned food occasionally.
Some fruits and vegetables like potatoes, jicama, and green beans are perfect treats for pugs. However, fruits like grapes, cherries, and plums have health effects in pugs that can cause heart diseases and other kidney related problems.
Also never, give your pug coffee, alcohol, chocolate or any other food with caffeine. Always ensure your garbage bucket is kept in a place where pugs cannot reach because they can feed on leftovers that are toxic.
Pugs are small breed’s dogs with special needs. Choosing the best dog food for pugs , you have to put all factors into consideration like weight and pug outdoor activities. Always consult a Vet in case your pug gets a stomach upset or diarrhea after feeding him with a certain food.
Other Related reviews.
When am not writing, you can find me hunting with my retriever named Lupo in the uplands. Am also a Dropshipper and i have one store dealing with Pug merchandise. Enjoy reading my blog